Secondary Menu

Anchored in Grace: Help us choose the book cover

anchored compressed 1

by Kevin

The cover contest is now closed, but you’re still welcome to comment. We ended up choosing C, and we really appreciate everyone’s opinion. Wish we could make all of you happy… Congrats to Barry Standley for winning two free ebooks!

Jeremy Walker is a blogger with Reformation 21, a pastor in West Sussex, England, and a writer who has clearly marinated his heart and soul in Scripture and the works of the Puritans. He has also written a wonderful little book for us that together we have decided to call Anchored in Grace: Fixed Truths for Humble Faith. It’s coming out in June (there was supposed to be a May book but getting this website in shape threw us off track a little), and we could use your help finalizing the cover.

Here are the three leading candidates, in quick mockup form, using watermarked (no pun intended) images.

These images may seem small, but the fact is that with the prevalence of online retailing, if a cover doesn’t work at 2 inches high it doesn’t work at all. So, which one do you think we should go with, and why? Please leave your comments and your vote. We may not end up choosing the cover that gets the most votes, but we are very interested in your thoughts. Also, after a couple of days we will pick one of you at random and offer you your choice of any two ebook titles, in either Mobipocket (Kindle), EPUB (iOS), or PDF.[Tweet “Help pick the cover for @Reformation21 blogger Jeremy Walker’s book. Might win 2 other books!”]

While you’re here, you might like to get a sense of what this book will be like. So feel free to take a look at the draft introduction below, complete with British spellings (for now). Or visit the book page, where you can also preorder.

Click read the draft Introduction

INTRODUCTION

In his great treatment of spiritual warfare, The Christian in Complete Armour, the Puritan author William Gurnall speaks of what he calls “catechize-points.” These, he says, are “truths necessary to be known and believed.”[i] The truths upon which I wish to focus in this short book provide us with a stunning display of grace. They are truths which with Christians need to be thoroughly acquainted, truths with which pastors must thoroughly acquaint the people whom they serve. These are the paths to walk so that you do not miss your way to heaven, nor fail to honour the Lord God along the way. These are the anchor points of the faith that mature Christians need to point out to the generations following us. These are spiritual realities to reckon with. These are the gospel verities that must be defended against the errors and heresies that repeatedly threaten to undermine or overwhelm them, either by force or by fraud.

These are central truths. They cannot be pushed to one side or downplayed without restricting our views of God and twisting our views of self. They are determinative, in large measure, for our views of Christian experience, life, duty and joy. They help to define our gospel witness as the church of Jesus Christ. Get these wrong and so much else will be immediately and persistently skewed.

These are humbling truths. They strip away all the boasting to which proud and rebellious man is inclined. With searing honesty they make us face the facts about our own sinful hearts, our spiritual need and our utter dependence on the mercies and favours of God acting freely and graciously in accordance with all his glorious character and infinite being. They are truths that necessarily empty us of self before they fill us with Christ.

These are saving truths. These things are the ground of our hope. Fail to reckon with these things, and there is no deliverance for our souls and bodies. Again, there is a holy progression and a divine logic at work. Like a sick man, we must acknowledge the disease and accept the diagnosis in order to pursue the physician and obtain the medicine. With regard to our souls, we will not flee to Christ as Saviour until we are brought to acknowledge the salvation that we need as found in him alone. Then, and only then, do we run to him and hide ourselves in him and find all our joy.

These are comforting truths. Here the soul—however stained or troubled in itself, however weak and feeble we know ourselves to be or fear ourselves to be, whatever challenges and obstacles we face, whatever trials and temptations lie before us—finds all that it will ever need. Here and here only we can rest in peace.

Finally, these are God-glorifying truths. They exalt God in Christ, they make much of him, they draw attention to his person and they shed light upon his work. Here his being and his doing are made manifest. Nowhere outside of salvation through the Lamb do we find such a high and clear revelation of who God is and what God is like. Here the glory of God shines in his grace as nowhere else, prompting lives of earnest service and songs of ardent praise.

My intention is simply to survey some of these fundamental truths—God’s display of his grace—in order that we might feel their sweet force for ourselves. In each instance, I will take what might be called an ‘epitomising text’—a short portion of God’s Word which encapsulates something of the truth in question. I hope to demonstrate that it is by no means the only Scripture that proves the point, and so to bring to bear something of the whole counsel of God upon the matter. My great concern is both to explain and to apply these truths. My intention is not first to be polemical, but I trust that as we see these truths springing from the pages of our Bibles it will be persuasive, to direct us and confirm us and encourage us in the things that God has made known. We must see that these are not dead letters, but spiritual realities that ought to grip our souls and govern our thoughts and deeds.

In so doing, I trust we shall be instructed, humbled, saved and comforted, and bring glory and honour to the God of our salvation as he holds before us in his word a display of his grace in Christ Jesus, his Son and our Saviour.

[i] William Gurnall, The Christian in Complete Armour, 166.

[Tweet “”Fail to reckon with these things,” says Jeremy Walker, “and there is no deliverance for our souls and bodies.””]

156 Responses to Anchored in Grace: Help us choose the book cover

1. Lee April 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm #

I prefer C. It is simple which depicts humility. I’m not fond of B because of the green mirky water and A depicts a story in itself. It made me think of mystery and horror fiction; the far away ship on the surface. What lurks beneath? Just my thoughts. I’m looking forward to reading the book!

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 1:01 pm #

Thanks, Lee! Appreciate the perspective.

2. Breton Palmer April 27, 2015 at 2:53 pm #

It’s between A or C.
    B just seems to lose the aesthetics with the green water and close up on the ship.
    While I think C is a solid choice only seeing the chain in the water attached to nothing I think detracts from the focus on “anchored”
    A, for me, keeps the focus on the anchor and brought to my mind the lyrics from How He Loves, “if His grace is an ocean we’re all sinking”.

Also, I find A slightly more pleasing to the eyes

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks, Breton. Sounds like you’d go with A or C, with A maybe a little bit in the lead.

3. Amy April 27, 2015 at 3:00 pm #

i like A or C with the look of the anchor in water. They grabbed my attention better.

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 3:41 pm #

Another vote for A or C. Maybe there’s a trend forming. Thanks, Amy.

4. Dave April 27, 2015 at 3:06 pm #

I like B myself. I like that it actually shows the ship that is being anchored. An anchor chain by itself seems a little too conceptual, and not “real’ enough. Just my opinion. For what it’s worth, my 6 year old also liked B too!

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 3:42 pm #

Dave, you and your 6-year-old are possibly bucking the trend…nothing wrong with that! 🙂

5. Persis April 27, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

My order of preference: C, A, and then B. There is less visual distraction with the chain by itself and doesn’t draw the eye away from the title.

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 3:43 pm #

Nice simple, comprehensive answer. Thanks, Persis!

6. Laura Raybon April 27, 2015 at 4:12 pm #

C- the line of the chain intersecting with the black author line looks much better.

• Staci Eastin April 27, 2015 at 4:21 pm #

Thanks, Laura! C seems to be quite popular.

7. Matt April 27, 2015 at 4:30 pm #

Honestly, none of them. With a word like “Anchored” in the title, I expect to see something chunky with big flukes on it. It’s not “Chained in Grace”, I guess is what I’m getting after.

But, if I had to choose one of the 3, I would go with A. It doesn’t include the anchor itself, but the vessel is in the background. It shows that there is something connected to the chain, that it’s grounded ins something. As others said, the green water in B is a bit of a turn-off. And with C, it’s just a chain stretching through the water. What’s it attached to? What’s it there for? It almost has a horizontal perspective, like a chain blocking the mouth of a harbor or an inlet, instead of being an anchor chain.

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 6:15 pm #

Thanks, Matt! You’ve broken new ground in this conversation, and it’s helpful.

8. Andrew April 27, 2015 at 4:34 pm #

I think C is the best because according to your criteria- “if a cover doesn’t work at 2 inches high it doesn’t work at all,” C is the clearest on my computer.

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 6:17 pm #

Another vote for C….thanks, Andrew.

9. Peter April 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm #

C…diagonals are more powerful.

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 6:18 pm #

Now that’s an interesting way to put it, Peter…thanks much.

10. Colin Millar April 27, 2015 at 6:26 pm #

I would choose C first and A second.
    The blue colour of C is bright and appealing like grace, but the colour of A is dull.
    The chain in C is strong and draws the eye to the book and up to the title.

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 8:48 pm #

Sure looks like C is pulling ahead. Thanks, Colin.

11. Marci Biggs April 27, 2015 at 7:34 pm #

A

• Kevin April 27, 2015 at 8:49 pm #

Thanks for voting!

12. David Reilly April 27, 2015 at 10:45 pm #

Definitely C! At thumbnail size you can easily still tell it’s a hefty chain tied to some type of anchor and the water is clear with an attractive color. The bubbles add to the effect of making it immediately recognizable, like God’s Grace is in reality.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 2:02 pm #

Thank you, David!

13. Mez April 28, 2015 at 1:34 am #

A with out a doubt. Brighter & more interesting.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 10:47 am #

Thanks, Mez. Appreciate your work across the pond!

14. Sonny April 28, 2015 at 2:41 am #

A. Because it has a ship, clear water and a heavy chain probably tied to an anchor.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 10:48 am #

Sounds good, Sonny. Thanks much.

15. Daniel A. April 28, 2015 at 6:35 am #

A. “A” best captures the anchor theme in my mind with the visible boat. While I like the bright colour of “C” , the chain in that picture doesn’t turn my thoughts to ‘anchor’ like “A” does.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 10:50 am #

We’re developing an interesting set of A vs. C comments here… Thank you, Daniel.

16. Anne April 28, 2015 at 7:35 am #

C. It connects the reader to the book with the perspective of being on or next to the anchor, but is not as busy as A. B does not draw the reader in.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 10:51 am #

And Anne votes for simplicity… Thanks so much!

17. Ashley April 28, 2015 at 8:46 am #

I like A or C (which seems to be the consensus), but think A is a bit better. With a ship clearly in the picture, the idea of an anchor comes to my mind quickly. C is just a chain in water, so the idea of an anchor doesn’t match up as well.

18. Kevin April 28, 2015 at 10:52 am #

Hi, Ashley. And you’re putting a little more weight onto the A side of the scale. We appreciate it!

19. Alan April 28, 2015 at 1:13 pm #

Prefer C. It just isn’t distracting. Also then tension on the anchor shows that the anchor is needed.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 1:17 pm #

Thanks, Alan. Nice banjo…

20. Jolene April 28, 2015 at 1:15 pm #

I choose A. The dark blue communicates a seriousness or weight to the meaning of the book. I like the perspective of the boat too. Choice B’s colors remind me of games on a summer day, and feels carefree- not so serious. I like C, but mainly just because of the color (my favorite) but not because it communicates a specific making.

21. Chris Hohnholz April 28, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

I would go with C. The boat images in A and B seem to take away from the overall image. C with it’s chain in deep water makes the anchor image clear without being overly detailed. Seems more powerful to me.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 1:19 pm #

Got it, Chris. Helpful…

22. Kevin April 28, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

OK, Jolene. This is a very interesting A vs. C debate.

23. Michelle April 28, 2015 at 1:19 pm #

I prefer C.

A feels heavy in a negative way, seems to lack hope, like being chained underwater to drown rather than being anchored savingly.

B doesn’t really work as well compositionally with the black bars. The elements don’t seem to integrate well and the angle seems to lack a purposeful point of view.

C feels positive because of the color and texture, and the angle of the chain both interacts well with the black linear elements and also makes for a more dynamic compositional space. It seems the most hopeful and powerful.

• Staci Eastin April 28, 2015 at 1:35 pm #

Thanks, Michelle. That’s helpful.

24. Peter Butler Jr April 28, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

I prefer C — please enter me in the draw!

• Staci Eastin April 28, 2015 at 1:36 pm #

You’re entered, Peter! Thanks for weighing in.

25. Noah April 28, 2015 at 1:29 pm #

Like pretty much everyone else, I think B is a dud.

C is more visually appealing, but a little lacking… something.

A is OK, but not right either. Instead of seeing the boat, maybe seeing the chain connected to the anchor, wedged into a rock. Of course, that might be a bit too much on the nose.

However it goes, sound’s like a book I want to read.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:49 pm #

Thanks for your thoughts, Noah. We’re glad you’re excited about the book. We certainly are!

26. Nathan Wiebe April 28, 2015 at 1:29 pm #

I’m joining the C gang.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm #

Another vote for C. Thanks, Nathan.

27. Phil W April 28, 2015 at 1:30 pm #

I prefer A. I like the murkiness of it, maybe the mystery, and from that perspective, we’re looking up from the grace end of things.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm #

Good points. Thanks for voting.

28. Eric S. April 28, 2015 at 1:31 pm #

I prefer A.

I echo Breton’s remarks about B’s unappealing aesthetic appearance; the image has so much color going on that, at first, I wasn’t even sure what I was looking at. I’ve also never seen such green water so that made the image even more confusing.

C looks too simplistic and, as Ashley already stated, all that comes to my mind when I look at it is a chain in the water; there seems to be very little correspondence between the title and the image. The color is also too bright. When put together, the color and simplicity would make me think the book was cheaply made and the cover poorly designed.

A is the only choice that strikes me as being a cover on a book that would draw my attention; I honestly wouldn’t even think twice about the other two. The darker and more muted colors suggest weightiness and give the image a sense of mystery. The dimness of the water also draws my attention to the starkness and the solidity of the chain attached to the anchor, which made me think that about the fact that being “anchored in grace” means being grounded in the Gospel even when the waters are murky and life is hard. I also like the fact that the image depicts the ship rather than the anchor, because the emphasis then falls on being “anchored” while simultaneously suggesting that the book will explore what it means to be anchored from the perspective of grace itself. I like theological books that “get under the surface” of the Scriptures and don’t simply offer man-centered suggestions regarding spiritual matters. The fact that the image situates the viewer deep beneath the water’s surface subtly implies that “Anchored in Grace” is this kind of book.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

Very thoughtful, Eric. Thank you!

29. Allen Hildreth April 28, 2015 at 1:33 pm #

Immediately I was drawn to “C”. The color is RICH like grace – and the downward thrust of the anchor’s chain points to the depth of this richness. In this life the stabilizing reality of grace is so desperately needed!

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

Amen, Allen. And thanks for your thoughts!

30. Beth April 28, 2015 at 1:38 pm #

A is by far the best image (much better visual to have the ship in there than just the chain.) The coloring appears dull in comparison to C, but I think it would look perfectly fine on its own! 🙂

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks for joining in, Beth!

31. Doug April 28, 2015 at 1:39 pm #

‘A’ gets my first vote, with ‘C’ a close second, and ‘D’ (Matt suggested an anchor shot) a possible third.
    I like seeing the ship on the surface and the idea that we sometimes don’t really see where our anchor sits.

‘C’ is clear and I like the color, but other than reminding me of an anchor chain, that’s the only thing that connects it with the possibility of a ship or a anchor. As another comment suggested, it’s not ‘chained in grace’ so that’s why A was my first choice.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:53 pm #

Support for D seems to be growing! 🙂 Thanks, Doug.

32. Jay Beerley April 28, 2015 at 1:42 pm #

I like A the best as a cover and thumbnail. I think the title needs to have a cover with some weightiness to it. Not to go too off topic, and someone may have mentioned this, but have you experimented with actual anchors? I kind of like the look and feel of something like this: http://www.wallconvert.com/wallpapers/photography/anchor-close-up-19689.html

Just my two cents 🙂

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

That’s a pretty stunning photo, Jay. Thanks. And we have looked at LOTS of anchor images. Part of the reason we didn’t go there is that if you can see the anchor on land, it’s rarely actually doing anything…

33. Jim April 28, 2015 at 1:43 pm #

My initial visual reaction was ‘C’. However, given the title and subject matter I think ‘A’ is the best choice. It is clearly an ‘anchor’ scene, but the cover is not crystal clear. Grace may not be crystal clear to all, and perhaps reading this little book will bring clarity and anchored understanding.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

Thank you, Jim. We appreciate your comments.

34. Alan Barbee April 28, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

Either C or A. I like the clear picture of the anchor chain on C, but in A I like the fact that you can follow the anchor chain up and see the boat above.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:58 pm #

A and C definitely seem to be the favorites. Thanks, Alan.

35. David Sugg April 28, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

I prefer C. Really expected to see an anchor in the picture, not just the chain.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 1:59 pm #

Thank you, David!

36. Scott April 28, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

My eye was immediately drawn to “B” because of the color variations in the cover itself, and because it stands out from the other monochromatic blues. In a sea of book covers, “B” would stand out visually compared with the the solid blues.

“B” also has more of the sense of the title without my brain having to work so hard to process the relationship between the title and the image. With that said, I’m on board with Matt’s comment that none of the 3 really grab me, and since the title is not “Chained in Grace” but “Anchored in Grace”, my synapses where expecting something more “anchor-y”.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

Anchor-y…what a great word! Another vote for B. Thanks, Scott.

37. Jennifer April 28, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

I like option C because it’s the clearest at that size. I like A, too, but I had to look at it twice to understand what it was. Option C was quicker to grasp at a glance.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 2:01 pm #

Thank you, Jennifer. Good to know.

38. Nate April 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm #

My vote is for C. It’s sharp & simple. We know the chain is attached to an anchor because of the title of the book. A & B are just a little too cluttered for my taste.

• Staci April 28, 2015 at 2:01 pm #

C seems to be the favorite. Thanks, Nate.

39. Lee April 28, 2015 at 2:03 pm #

I like C. It is straightforward, attention grabbing and simple.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:21 pm #

Thanks, Lee! You’re obviously not alone in that opinion!

40. Stephen Jones April 28, 2015 at 2:04 pm #

I like (A) the best. The boat floating all alone up there at the water surface gives greater significance to the chain.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:22 pm #

Thanks, Stephen. For those who like A, it does seem to be the larger-context factor you pointed out.

41. Chris April 28, 2015 at 2:06 pm #

I definitely prefer A. First, B just doesn’t grab me aesthetically; that shade of green with the off-white ship looks rather drab and dirty, which aren’t adjectives remotely associated with grace! Both A and C have a more refreshing feel.

Second, the vibrant blue of option C reminds me of a pool party or something else that’s fun, colorful, and free-flowing. The underwater effect does remind me of the sheer depths of God’s grace, but I feel that option A does that too. Also, I agree with Ashley that a chain without a ship doesn’t bring to mind “anchor” as quickly.

Third, option A really captures the weightiness and awe of grace well. The blue is calm and makes me think of the peace found in being anchored in God. And I like that we can see the ship.

I’m excited to read the book!

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

Chalk up one more for A. Glad you’re looking forward to the book, Chris!

42. Ruth April 28, 2015 at 2:14 pm #

I like the simplicity and brightness of C. Second place would have to go to A but would like it much better if it was brighter.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

Simple, bright C — thanks, Ruth!

43. Byron Hand April 28, 2015 at 2:14 pm #

I love A – The chain extending into the blue water ….

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks, Byron — duly noted

44. Gabe Tribbett April 28, 2015 at 2:21 pm #

I vote for “C” because I think it’s simple, contrast (in colors) and still conveys the truth desired.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm #

Appreciate it, Gabe.

45. Robert Wiggins April 28, 2015 at 2:23 pm #

I prefer C. It’s simple, the color is pleasing, and the chain is clear even on a small screen as the background provides good contrast.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:27 pm #

One more for C! Thanks, Robert.

46. Brandon Post April 28, 2015 at 2:23 pm #

I like (A) the best out of the three but I think I would like to see a cover with some kind of an anchor better.

• Kevin April 28, 2015 at 8:28 pm #

Looking back through these comments, Brandon, I’d say you’re sort of voting for the missing Choice D. 🙂

47. Diana April 28, 2015 at 2:29 pm #

C. Clean, simple, straight forward, Just drew me immediately.
    (B is visually too busy)

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:21 am #

Thank you, Diana.

48. Eugen April 28, 2015 at 2:37 pm #

Definitely go with C – but flip the image, the chain will then be more balanced with the title design with a stronger triangular framing.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:21 am #

Good thoughts, Eugen. Thanks!

49. Josh Dear April 28, 2015 at 2:54 pm #

I agree that an anchor should’ve been featured in some way, but of the three options, “C” is definitely my favorite. The blue is beautiful and eye-catching, and the chain is prominently portrayed.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:22 am #

Thank you, Josh. We appreciate it.

50. Salvador Gomez April 28, 2015 at 2:55 pm #

I prefer C. It’s cleaner and simpler, but conveys the idea in a powerful way.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:22 am #

More for C. Thanks!

51. Peter April 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm #

A. It’s the only one that looks truly “anchored” to me. I also like the implication of “unfathomable” grace from the angle.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:23 am #

Another for A. Thanks, Peter.

52. Deb W April 28, 2015 at 3:25 pm #

I think C is the most aesthetically pleasing. I appreciate how A has a bit more included than just the chain, but it’s entirely too dark. B is okay, but not as compelling as C. Thanks!

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:23 am #

Thank you, Deb. You’re entered in the drawing.

53. Scott Weldon April 28, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

C. The chain is big and bold and solid. Makes me think of strength and security, which is the very picture of God’s grace. B looks weak, and A (as someone said) looks more like a novel. Looking forward to the text.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:24 am #

Glad you’re looking forward to it, Scott Thanks for voting.

54. Lisa April 28, 2015 at 4:02 pm #

I like the clarity of colour and image of “C”.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:24 am #

Thank you, Lisa.

55. Davy April 28, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

Photo A – looking forward to the contents as well as the eventual cover!

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:25 am #

Great, Davy. Thank you!

56. Josh Gaudreau April 28, 2015 at 4:47 pm #

Easily cover A.

With the ship in the background it’s clearly understood to be an anchor attached to the bottom of the chain. The colour of the image is darker, invoking the storms of life, but the angle of the image draws our eyes up to the title (where the water is lighter), and so up to the Giver of grace.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:26 am #

Support for A continues. 🙂 Thanks!

57. Marguerite Harrell April 28, 2015 at 5:07 pm #

I prefer C and the 2nd choice would be A.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:26 am #

Thank you, Marguerite. C then A seems to be the most popular opinions.

58. Rotimi April 28, 2015 at 5:29 pm #

A is better and then B would be good if the water was changed to Blue.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:27 am #

You’re not the first to not like green water. 🙂 Thanks for voting!

59. Joseph Chia April 28, 2015 at 5:43 pm #

Prefers cover C. Though no ship nor anchor appears, the title explains what the chain is all about. A much cleaner and brighter feel. No matter how strong the current of life pulls us, like an anchored chain, the grace of God holds us steady.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:27 am #

Clean and bright is good! Thanks Joseph.

60. Peter Whyte April 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm #

A’s too murky, and B’s too rusty and the green water is offputting though I liked the general concept if only it were a bit shinier and clearer water. C’s clearer and brighter, so of the 3 I’d go for it.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:28 am #

Another vote against green water. 🙂 Thanks, Peter!

61. Henry Christoph April 28, 2015 at 7:16 pm #

I vote for B. It shows what is above water, making me feel I can breathe more easily.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Interesting perspective, Henry. Thank you.

62. Corey April 28, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

I prefer C. I believe the anchor is more of a focus on this cover than the others.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Thank you, Corey.

63. Kyle Amyx April 28, 2015 at 8:30 pm #

I vote for image A. I feel it is the most visually appealing and captures the title really well.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:30 am #

Thanks, Kyle.

64. Brian Lively April 28, 2015 at 8:39 pm #

I prefer C, due to simplicity. A and B just seem to have a ltitle to much going on.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:30 am #

Simplicity is good. Thanks, Brian.

65. Chris April 28, 2015 at 8:47 pm #

I like B. Out of the 3, I think it brings across the idea and importance of anchoring to me most clearly.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:31 am #

Thank you, Chris.

66. A April 28, 2015 at 8:56 pm #

A

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:31 am #

Thanks!

67. Barry Standley April 28, 2015 at 9:31 pm #

C gets my vote. That image reminds me of my scuba-diving days when I was so deep (and the sky was overcast and the water was murky from algae) that I could not see either the lake’s surface or the underside of the boat, but I could see objects within, say, 5 to 8 feet. Coming across an anchor’s chain in such conditions helps a diver to avoid panic and to know where to ascend. The bubbles in the photo suggest a diver coming up alongside such a chain.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 8:32 am #

Very interesting, Barry. Thanks for your thoughts.

68. Mike April 28, 2015 at 9:55 pm #

I prefer A and C.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 9:58 am #

Thank you, Mike.

69. jane April 28, 2015 at 11:34 pm #

A. It’s the most clear representation of an anchor and what it does. B is ugly and C, though interesting, just looks like a chain.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 9:58 am #

Thanks, Jane. 🙂

70. John Mowat April 29, 2015 at 6:22 am #

C.

This cover is the most striking and distinctive (all that rich blue), and enables the quickes connection between cover art and book title.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 9:59 am #

Connection is what we’re looking for. Thanks for your thoughts.

71. Zacarias Rivera April 29, 2015 at 7:19 am #

I like C. I like the shade of blue, that the anchor is underwater, and close-up. The water “bubbles” make it look as if you are there. C is the best choice.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 9:59 am #

Another mention of the bubbles. Thank you, Zacarias.

72. Curt & Jen Van Dyken April 29, 2015 at 7:19 am #

Our preference is A! It gives the best sense of anchored in our opinion.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 10:00 am #

Thanks!

73. Kyle Huber April 29, 2015 at 8:56 am #

I like C best as well for immediate cleanness of look

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

Thanks for voting, Kyle.

74. Shawn April 29, 2015 at 9:41 am #

C.

It’s simple, clean and conveys depth.

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 1:26 pm #

Thank you, Shawn. One more for C.

75. Emily April 29, 2015 at 10:42 am #

I prefer C. I like the color and the bubbles!

• Staci April 29, 2015 at 1:26 pm #

Another vote for bubbles! Thanks, Emily.

76. Ruth B April 29, 2015 at 5:50 pm #

I like A. It is nice medium between too simplistic and too complicated. The colours are calming, and the direction of the anchor chain is on a good angle that doesn’t clash with the ‘Cruciform press title+subtitle+author black rectangles’
    I’m sorry but I think C is too plain. Simple is good, but its just a chain in water, it isn’t attached to a boat/anchor so to me its just a random chain in the sea, sorry!
    I also found it interesting that none of them featured an actual anchor.

• Staci April 30, 2015 at 10:04 am #

No need to be sorry! Thanks for your input, Ruth. 🙂

77. Moreen Weaver April 29, 2015 at 6:35 pm #

I love C-visually makes the point!

• Staci April 30, 2015 at 10:04 am #

Thank you, Moreen.

78. Daniel April 30, 2015 at 10:56 am #

I like C best. A is OK, B takes a minute to figure out what is going on.

• Staci April 30, 2015 at 2:15 pm #

Another for C. Thanks, Daniel.

79. Jan April 30, 2015 at 12:54 pm #

The most eye-catching is C. But I would agree with the comment of none of them. I really like the cover photo best with the 3-link chain on stone. Strong message with inability to be moved, versus in water.

• Staci April 30, 2015 at 2:16 pm #

And another vote for D. 🙂 Thanks for your comments, Jan.

80. Jason Delgado April 30, 2015 at 1:38 pm #

A, most eye-pleasing, others are a tad too cheesy at first glance, if not just amateur looking.

• Staci April 30, 2015 at 2:16 pm #